This is a picture of the public school building at the corner of S. Jardin and W. Cherry Sts. It is now the Walukiewicz-Oravitz-Fell Funeral Home. The church on the left (Cherry St.) is St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church and directly across Jardin St. but off picture is St. George Roman Catholic Church. This image was captured about 1907.
Contrary to the caption, the Shenandoah Eagles did not have their own
building in 1907, when this picture was taken. Since their formation in 1901,
the Eagles have met in Reilly's Hall, in the Citizens' Bank builbing, above the
Merchant's Bank, and finally in their own building on South Main Street.
The Shenandoah Trust Company around 1907.
South Main Street, early 20th century.
In 1879 Shenandoah High School was built on North Main Street. When the
school was built it boasted steam heat, water, gas and a stage for commencement
exercises. This image was taken in the first decade of the 20th century.
A $10 note from the Citizens National Bank in 1908. Clicking on the image above will open a larger version.
This is a Shenandoah mine emergency room in 1908. The exact mine is unknown. Clicking on this picture will open a larger version in it's own window.
Shenandoah's Main Street around 1908.
A view of South White Street, the year was 1908.
The Ferguson Hotel, early 20th century.
Another image of the Ferguson Hotel, early 20th century.
The residence of J. P. Ferguson.
The Kehley Run Colliery was the second oldest mine located in Shenandoah.
Opened in 1864, the mine would later catch fire in the summer of 1880.
A picture of the West Shenandoah Colliery taken around 1909. Click on the
image above for a larger version.
St. Michael's new church on Oak Street, 1909.
The Phoenix Fire House around 1909. You can view a larger version of this picture by clicking on the image above, it will open in it's own window.
Located on the other side of the mountain, north of Shenandoah, the Ringtown
Valley was always a popular scenic spot. Ringtown with it's farms and colorful
foliage was the exact opposite of Shenandoah. Click on the picture above for a
Shenandoah breaker boys during the lunch hour. Unknown colliery around 1910.
A view of the Maple Hill Colliery in 1910.
This picture was taken at the Shenandoah City Colliery during the first decade of the 20th century. When this image was captured the colliery was owned by the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company.
A picture of the White Street School Building, circa 1910.
All Saints Episcopal Church around 1910. This structure would later become Shenandoah's Masonic Temple. Also, in this picture at the rear of the church, part of the Jefferson school building can be seen.
Shenandoah miners at the Valley Slope, 1910.
A rare 1911 twenty dollar bill from The Mechants
National Bank. Click on the image above for a larger version.
A postcard of East Center Street in 1913, the trolley can be seen in the distance.
The newly renovated exterior of the Ferguson Hotel, 1913.
A postcard showing the Lyric Theater on Center Street.
The Lyric Theater was opened in 1913. Click on the image above for a larger version.
This postcard shows a strech of inclined trolley track on an unknown Shenandoah street.
A very nice color picture of the trolley making it's way down a Shenandoah street. This image was taken from a postcard dated around 1913.
Cemetery road with Shenandoah in the background, 1913.
An early picture of Locust Mountain State Hospital around 1919. To see more Locust Mountain pictures and learn a little about the hospital's history just CLICK HERE.
Still located on Jardin street, in the same building,
this is how the
Phoenix #2 firehouse appeared in 1918.
A young group of professionals from Shenandoah,
this picture was taken in
Downtown Shenandoah, this picture was taken in the late 1920's.